Thursday, March 19, 2015

FOCUS ON FUNCTION

I was recently asked this question.  "If you could give just one piece of advice to somebody who is about to apply for Social Security disability, what would it be?"

My answer was worded in two ways but they both really mean the same thing.  Here they are.

Focus on why you can't work, not why you can't get a job.

OR

Focus on functional limitations

The Social Security Act does not cover employment problems.  Social Security will not pay a benefit because you can't find work or because no one will hire you.  That is an employment problem, not a disability problem.

Instead, focus on particular functional limitations that make you unable to work--even if you could find a job.  Functional limitations can be divided into two very general categories.  I will state the two categories here and give a few illustrations of what I mean:

Exertional Limitations
  • Due to back pain, I cannot lift and carry up to 10 pounds occasionally.
  • I am unable to walk more than 25 yards without stopping to rest.
  • I am not able to push and pull with my upper extremities.
Non-Exertional Limitations
  • I have a severe vision impairment.
  • I can't concentrate or pay attention for longer than 30 minutes at a time.
  • I can't sit in one position for more than 30 minutes due to hip pain.
It's easy to get sidetracked into a discusson of "Why I can't get a job..." or "Nobody will hire me because..." 

Instead, focus on "Why I am unable to work."  The more specific you are concerning your functional limitations, the better.  Define your limits in terms of minutes, hours, pounds, feet or yards, when possible. "I can only sit for about 30 minutes at a time."

In summary, functional abilities include such abilities as:  sitting, standing, walking, pushing or pulling, concentrating, remembering, following instructions, getting along with supervisors or co-workers; bending, stooping, crawling, lifting, etc.  Note that functional abilities or limitations may involve both physical or mental activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment